Subject: Re: Radial Fire Effect...
From: [email-masked] (Brenden Mecleary )
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 07:50:52 -0700

You wrote: 
>
> 	I heed to make a texture on a surface, which resembles fire. 
> That's not something I haven't done before, but the tricky part is that 
> this fire has to be on a disk, and it has to burn from the outside in. 
> Middle of the disk being black (or transpatrent) and the outside of the 
> disk is where the fire originates.
>
[snip]

    Here's my idea...create a sphere with the diameter you want.  Make it 
perfectly round.  Move the sphere so that the top of it is at y=0.  Cut off the 
bottom of the sphere using either points or polygons selection method, and name 
the surfaces for all the polygons ("Fire", "Burning", whatever pleases you).
    Go into layout and load up that object.  Set the color that you desire for 
the fire at the outside ring (the bottom of an upright flame) to something like 
bright yellow (assuming you have normal colored fire, that is).  Then go into 
the texture menu for color.  Set a darker orangey color there for the tops of 
the flames.  Next, go to the texture menu for transparency.  Set the 
transparency value to 100% and give it a falloff so that it goes about halfway 
down the sphere.  Assign it a small velocity (.1 on the Y axis maybe), so it 
will look better if you animate it.  Go back into the color texture menu and 
assign a falloff that is twice that of the transparency, and a texture center 
that is halfway down the hemisphere.  Give that a bit of velocity, too.  Save 
that and test render it.  If you need it to be perfectly flat, just stretch it 
to .000001 on the Y axis.  Whew!  Hope that helps!  If you don't understand (I 
know I'm sometimes hard to follow), I'd be perfectly happy to send a sample 
object to you via an attached e-mail.  Good luck!

                                                    Brenden Mecleary
                                                    [email-masked]
--
[email-masked] (Brenden Mecleary ) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]